Enrolments 2023 and beyond are welcome.
If you are interested in enrolling your child at St Joseph’s School, please contact the School Office for an enrolment pack.
St. Joseph’s School was established to serve the parish of Sacred Heart, Kaikoura.
Priority in Enrolment
- State integrated schools select preference students on the following grounds.
- The agent for determining preference is Angela Van Rooyen
- The grounds for preference are as follows:
The criteria to be used by Proprietors, and their authorised agents, when determining whether or not the parents of a child have established such a particular or general religious connection with the Catholic Special Character are:
5.1 The child has been baptised or is being prepared for baptism in the Catholic Church.
5.2 The child’s parents/guardians have already allowed one or more of its siblings to be baptised in the Catholic faith.
5.3 At least one parent/guardian is a Catholic, and although their child has not yet been baptised, the child’s participation in the life of the school could lead to the parents having the child baptised.
5.4 With the agreement of the child’s parent/legal guardian, a significant familial adult such as a grandparent, aunt or uncle who is actively involved in the child’s upbringing undertakes to support the child’s formation in the faith and practices of the Catholic Church.
5.5 One or both of a child’s non-Catholic parents/guardians is preparing to become a Catholic.
Preference Criteria as above, if there are more enrolments than places available the following criteria will be used (when the roll reaches 110 enrolments):
Applications for enrolments will be processed in the following order of priority:
- First priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Second priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Third priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
- Fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
- Fifth priority must be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by ballot conducted in Police presence. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by email.
Preference students who are not selected in the ballot to begin attending the following calendar year may choose to be placed on a waiting list. Students on this list are wait listed using the above criteria and will be contacted if places become available.
- State integrated schools have places for non-preference students.
- This school has a maximum of 6 places.
- There are currently 0 places likely to be available in this year or next year.
- The school roll is now at 85% of its maximum and no non-preference places are likely until 2025. The non-preference roll is closed when we have 102 students enrolled.
Non-Preference places criteria:
- The applicants accept that they will be attending a school of special character and that their place in the school is conditional on their participation in the programme.
- The applicants accept that they will be required to pay attendance dues as set by the Proprietor and these are not voluntary.
Non-Preference criteria that apply to this school.
- The siblings of non-preference students already in the school.
- Siblings of former non-preference students.
- The children of staff or Board members who seek to enrol their children.
- Non-preference students coming from another integrated school with the same special character.
- Children who live in the Kaikoura District and who want to participate in the special character programme of the school.
- Non-preference students who cannot enrol immediately may choose to be placed on a waiting list. Students on this list are wait listed by date and number and will be contacted if places become available.
Enrolments will close for the following year if the roll is over 102 on the 30th of September.
All applicants will be notified by the 30th of October as to whether they have a place starting from the following year, at St Joseph’s School, Kaikoura.
Enrolment information is also available for St Joseph’s School in hard copy from the office.
Each year spaces are available, applications for enrolment will be sought by a date which will be published in the local newspaper, parish newsletter and school newsletter.
Enrolment Scheme Boundaries
This will include all those who live within the Sacred Heart Parish boundaries.
The Clarence township to SH1. Along SH1 to Clarence Valley Road. Along Clarence Valley Road including Woodbank Road; Matariki Road; Waiautoa Road.
Following the Conway river on the Southern side of the Seaward Kaikoura ranges
Following the Clarence river along the Western side of the Seaward Kaikoura ranges
The coastline from the Conway River Mouth to the Clarence Village township.
Definition of Family/Whanau Members
Family/Whanau members of former students will include brothers, sisters, sons, daughters and grandchildren. Applicants may be required to provide proof of family/whanau connection.